Saturday, June 21, 2008

Oven Mitts


Recently, I am a huge fan of Lotta Jansdotter, a Scandinavian designer known for her prints and sewn projects. I picked up a book for hers with simple sewing patterns in San Francisco a few months ago- I never use patterns so I thought it was time to give it a try.

These mits are based off of one of her patterns. I used a variety of fabrics (upholstery, cotton, and something more canvas-like in texture), and used some mismatching to keep things interesting (the yellow pair all the way to the right is an example). I used free form quilting to draw lines and patterns with my sewing machine. Rather than match my quilting thread to the fabric, I selected a thread color that would stand out and show off the sewn lines.

Most of the fabric used for this project is from clothing that I really wasn't wearing, but was too in love with to give away. The trim on the pair of mitts on the left is from a skirt, as is the plaid fabric in the yellow pair. The circular patterned yellow fabric is from a printed shirt I bought at an Indian clothing store on the Lower East Side.

I am so attracted to fabric, pattern, and color, that I oftem buy garments because I love the fabric they are made of and never really wind up wearing them enough. A good and eco-friendly solution then, is to recycle those old but beautiful clothes inso small sewing projects.

No comments: